Matt loves to make cocktails. Especially cocktails made with rum. He has a much more sophisticated palate then me when it comes to drinks and really appreciates the simplicity of a good cocktail. So a few months back when he offered to make me a new cocktail, I hesitantly accepted. And I am so happy I did! Matt made a Rum Old Fashioned. Traditionally an old fashioned is made with bourbon but being Appleton Estate’s number one fan, naturally he made a Rum Old Fashioned. The drink was sweet but not too sweet and perfectly balanced with a hint of orange. Now old fashioned’s are a go to cocktail for us and we enjoy trying them on our travel adventures or visits to new restaurants. Here’s how to make this simple but delicious drink…
- 1.5 ounces of rum
- 1 ounce of simple syrup
- 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Orange peel (for garnish)
Note: To make simple syrup combine equal parts of water and white sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Allow it to cool prior to making a cocktail.
- You can either use crushed ice or one large ice cube to make your drink. A large ice cube is preferable but we didn’t have any prepared so we went with crushed ice. First, peel a large portion of an orange and add to the glass. Then fill your glass with ice (or a large ice cube).
2. Next, add the dashes of bitters and pour the rum and simple syrup over the ice. Stir.
3. Lastly, use any remaining peel left on the orange to zest over your drink. This adds a little extra orange flavour.
What are some of your favourite cocktail recipes? Let me know in the comments below!